4 Points Of Reference For Understanding Backlinking
1. On-page SEO
These are techniques you can use to increase your prospects of getting your website ranked at or near the top of searches. Examples include making use of good keywords, filling your text with the optimal volume of these keywords, and putting those keywords in the locations search engines like best. Other forms of effective on-page SEO include:
- Including your keyword within the page’s title
- Ensuring your website has great meta-tags, which are the description tags that show up in search engine results. Ensure that you use to mark the beginning and end of your meta-tags. Plus, make certain they are limited to 160 characters in total, including spaces.
- Including your keywords inside your header tags (also known as H1 tags). Those are the headlines that at the top of your article and inside your website content.
- Including your keywords in ALT image text. These are the descriptions used with an image which are displayed when a user places the mouse cursor over the image.
- Making sure your site content includes internal links. These are links that hyperlink to your other blogs or other areas of your website.
2. Off-Page SEO
Off-page SEO is equally as important as on-Page SEO. Among the best off-page SEO techniques is backlinking, or link building. The better links your site includes to other sites – especially sites search engines considered “authoritative” – the better your site will be ranked by search engines. The most significant benefit of backlinks is that they cause search engines to grant your site higher rankings on search pages. Should your site be in the Number One spot on the first page of a search for your niche, you will be practically guaranteed to be clicked on by thousands, or even millions, of people each and every day. And if only a small percentage of those visitors actually purchase something on your site, you stand to make a lot of money. However if you find yourself anywhere except the top half of the first Search Engine Results Page (SERP) for your product niche, you aren’t going to make many sales. When this occurs, it’s time to improve your SEO by creating more backlinks.
3. Good Backlinks vs Bad Backlinks
The most effective backlinks link to authoritative sites. These are websites that the majority of people would visit if they were searching for specific information. Examples include Wikipedia, eHow.com, Wikimedia Commons, and so on. For example, assume your website offers automobiles for sale and you’ve included two backlinks on your web page: One links to Motor Trend magazine’s website, which says your site is an excellent place to buy cars. The second one is to a food blog where there is a recipe you like. In this case, the first backlink could substantially increase the value of your web page as viewed by the search engines. The second wouldn’t help it much, although if it had the proper keywords it may help your rankings a little.
4. Types of Backlinks
There also are three types of backlinks, each of which has different value by search engines:
- One-Way Links – Links from one or more pages of another website to yours, without your website linking back to that site.
- Reciprocal Links – These are links connecting to another site, and the other site links back to one of your pages. This is also known as link swapping.
- Three-Way Links – This is when you link to a website, and instead of linking directly back to your site, the person publishing that site links back to your site from a third site.
The type of backlinking search engines like most are one-way links because there is no reciprocity. Search engines also like three-way links because they look the same as one-way links. Most links will add value to your webpage for search engines, but steer clear of getting backlinks from unsavory sources, for example gambling or pornographic sites. These will harm your site’s reputation among big search engines. OK, that’s the round-up for Backlinking.
Grabbing backlinks through social media is one of the the easiest ways to to boost traffic, and included in our Core training Modules on the site.
Read this about gathering your Core Skills to build a rock solid affiliate, JV, or Information business online.
To learn more about Traffic Strategies, Income Streams, Social Media and Website Tech join our Core video training program.